Different NAS manufacturers program their devices to report errors in different ways. Listed below are some common ways to identify if your NAS is faulty. There are many strange things NAS devices can do when they are malfunctioning, if your symptom is not listed below, don’t worry, just give us a call 0151 342 8188
Is your NAS demonstrating any of these faults:
- Are there any unusual beeps or messages when booting up the NAS device?
- Is the NAS completely dead? No life in it whatsoever?
- Has the NAS device become inaccessible?
- Is the NAS noticeably slower in handling your files?
- Are your files disappearing?
- Has the NAS been physically damaged?
- Has the NAS been affected by a power surge or lightning strike?
- Can you hear any strange clicking sounds when powering up the NAS?
Brands of NAS we regularly recover from
- Western Digital
Common NAS Device Issues
NAS devices are often situated out of sight and don’t have regular maintenance performed on them. Therefore, this can result in nobody noticing the early warning signs displayed via the unit that a disk is overheating/failing, etc.
Network-attached storage (NAS) drives often fail due to poor ventilation, causing them to overheat, subsequently resulting in cooked hard drives. The damage from overheating drives ranges from malfunctioning PCB’s, damaged magnetic read/write heads, to surface damage on the platters and many other problems.
NAS devices are typically multiple disk RAID models; however, some manufacturers do produce single disk models, for example, ‘Western Digital My Cloud’ has a range that only incorporates a single hard drive.
It is not uncommon for NAS devices to utilize a unique Linux operating system, typically employing the Extended File System (Ext2/Ext3/Ext4), XFS (Netgear), or ReiserFS file systems. The data is generally wrapped up inside ‘inode data structures’ that are far more complicated than conventional file systems such as NTFS.
These systems can easily become corrupted, often creating challenging recovery cases. Excellent working knowledge of these file systems is essential for high chances of successful recoveries.
If you want to avoid further data loss at this stage, we recommend:
- Please stop attempting to access your defective NAS device.
- Please do not dismantle your device in anyway.
- Please never open the lid of any Hard Drive, they are sealed for a reason.
- Contact us on 0151 342 8188 for a no-obligation quote.
We only use the best hardware available for Data Recovery.
Utilising industry-standard tools such as Ace Laboratories PC3000 and DeepSpar Disk Imagers, in conjunction with a class 100 cleanroom facility – alongside cutting-edge tooling – we can offer our customers an affordable, Professional Data Recovery service.
If your Network-Attached Storage device is malfunctioning, you have come to the right place to have your data recovered from it.
Dragon Data Recovery
The concept of Dragon Data Recovery is to offer professional and affordable Data Recovery Services, to both commercial and domestic clients. Read more